1999 Seattle WTO Protest - The Human Experience
Raw Footage Interactive Documentary
Take a Walk with Those of us That were Really there.
N30 Labor Rally and March to Downtown
OK so the Labor Rally was at Memorial Stadium, Seattle Center, a good 20 minute march from downtown where activists were already well into shutting down the city. The story is that the march was designed to go downtown and then head back. But when they got there, there was so much going on…and there were thousands of people already there, that there wasn't any going home. Everyone in the march was like ,, wow. And everyone downtown looked at the march coming in and said, wow… " By this time the police had blocked their own intersections, I think to prevent people from joining some key lockdowns up by the Convention Center. That is my guess. I was trapped in that area as well - to get around was a walk all the way down to 3rd avenue.
It was an event and everyone was stretched in ways unimaginable - awareness, belief systems, abilities and vision of the future.
This march was big, so big that it was hard to get any footage that truly described it's size. For a few seconds I saw a helicopter shot on the news from the Independent Media Center but I was on my way out into the streets.
DATE: November 30, 2012
WHERE: Memorial Stadium, Seattle
VIDEOGRAPHER CREDIT: Ed Mays, Storm
- If the rally speech at the beginning is hard to watch, close your eyes and listen to these important words.
- Also, a story about how the conservative tried to hold a pro-WTO rally in the Mercer Arena. They got about 60 people.
- This videographer, Ed Mays, got downtown with march and then found some high spots to shoot the whole pike/pine area of what I call the "block party" area. Zooms are super shaky but I think important not to cut, as the audio tells so much. Don't worry. It's not all shaky.
- A few seconds of Storm's footage is inserted to show the excitement of the Labor march joining downtown.
- The smoke in the distance is about the incident on 4th+Pike when dumpsters were set on fire, which is where he goes to tape what happens afterwards. See the 4th+Pike clip for more of that story.